Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Questions about Google+

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Questions about Google+
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:48:56 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 09:06:16 +0200, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> On 28/04/16 03:38, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> That depends on its intent and purpose. If Google+ (or Facebook, or
> any other thing like that) is used to advertise the project, then I
> don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. I consider it similarly to
> releasing free software to proprietary environments like Microsoft
> Windows. It's about reaching people. Preaching to the converted is
> largely ineffective.

It's less about preaching and more about effectively endorsing it by
prominently linking to it and actively using it.

Passively using it without linking to it is less of an issue to me,
because...

> But the people who use Google+/Steam/whatever, would likely not even
> have heard of the project if it weren't there.

...of this.

> Maybe the project can limit the information on Google+ by primarily
> posting small updates with links to the full story, which is available
> on their free website?

Yes, hopefully there's nothing exclusive on those services.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer