Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liber

From: Erik Moeller
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liberation)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 16:23:33 -0700

> Mentioning a license on your JS would also be helpful, currently LibreJS
> doesn't approve.

I'm currently using https://www.npmjs.com/package/uglify-save-license
to preserve license information in minified/bundled scripts, while
also serving the un-minfied version:

https://freeyourstuff.cc/static/js/main.min.js
https://freeyourstuff.cc/static/js/main.js

Unfortunately, most library authors don't tend to follow a convention
in how they specify a license in their source code, so automatic
detection is likely difficult. Let me play with a license table page à
la the Rootstrikers example to see if that passes LibreJS' muster.

> As for the service itself, I suppose the challenge would be to make
> sure the websites involved don't relicense your stuff under themselves.

ToS for all currently supported sites specify that users grant a
"nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully
sublicensable right" to use their contributions to the site operator,
but do not require a copyright transfer. In my experience, full
copyright transfer is rare for most mainstream websites that accept
user contributions like photos or ratings.

Erik