libtool

Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool problem on system with 32 and 64 bit libraries
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 14:52:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Markus Elfring wrote on Fri, May 08, 2009 at 07:59:16PM CEST:
I am curious if the libtool software will ever be able to determine the
appropriate directory automatically on systems with multiple processor
architectures.

If you know of a fully automatic way that works, and that not only for
your system your distribution your current version, but for strictly
more systems, distributions, versions, compilers and compiler versions
for which the current method works then we're all ears.

I think that what is needed is for the community to develop a specification for a simple and easily parsed format and location for a file which defines the architectures that a system supports, and the associated conventions. Systems pre-dating this new convention can be updated by adding the file. A future version of libtool could use this information when searching for files, or when building and installing libraries.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn