Re: [Lightning] Lightning assember

From: Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Lightning assember
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 12:49:10 -0300

> Hi,

> the directory ‘check’ of lightning's distribution contains an assembler
> ‘lightning.c’ for the lightning mnemonics. Is this assembler part an
> official tool of GNU lightning (I haven't found any documentation yet.)? Can
> one assume that it is stable?

  It is only a test driver, to allow testing different options, and
all lightning
instructions on different configurations.
  It is useful to write small tests and see what could would be generated.

> (In case the answers are no, I would like to suggest to make it an official
> part of GNU lightning. Obviously, a lot of work has gone into writing the
> assembler and it would be a nice tool for compiler writers that could then
> target lightning assembly as an output option.)

  It just generates an executable buffer in memory, and executes it, unless
the ".disasm" option is used to disassemble a small code generation. It
does not output anything much more meaningful, but yes, one of the
TODOs in lightning is to generate usable object or executable files.

> Marc

Thanks,
Paulo