Re: New font installation idea

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: New font installation idea
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:26:56 +0100

> > > Maybe we should put pdf's on the website too, if it's that easy now?
> >
> > Abolutely! I'd recommend to replace the current .ps.gz files
> > with PDF. I'm not sure about the best way to access the fonts
> > when building the web doc, though. I see three options:
> > - Let the make rules assume that the fonts already have been
> >  installed and are directly available.
> > - Let the make rules do a temporary font installation somewhere.
> > - Keep the old crowd of environment variable settings within the
> >   make files.
> >
> > I should add some lines on PDF file generation also in the
> > ordinary user documentation.
>
> we could mix #2 and #3: if you assume that $TEXMF is lilypond-X/
> you're already halfway there. (or perhaps wholeway, since kpathsea
> will search subdirectories as well?)

Yes and no! You have to keep the structure I've described
in the fontinstallation documentation, otherwise the files
will not be found. The subdirectory structure below
fonts/source/, fonts/afm/ and so on doesn't matter.

The following make rule can be included in the top level
GNUmakefile to add soft links that makes lilypond-X/ look
like a texmf directory. It could be part of the solution:

fontpaths:
        ln -s $(depth)/mf/out dvips
        mkdir -p fonts
        ln -s ../$(depth)/mf fonts/source