Re: Plans for guitar notation

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Plans for guitar notation
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:34:24 +0200

Kamil Kisiel wrote:

> notation program when I came across the lilypond project. I am wondering
> if there are any plans to include guitar-tab functionality to lilypond,

Well, yes, plans, yes... Lots of plans... Only plans, though.
I have been working on this very slowly... For now all I have done is to
draw a Tab-clef and start bugfixing the typesetting when the number of
staff lines is even (this is actually a very important issue when Tabs
get implemented).
I was hoping to be finished with the Tab by now, but I'm afraid that I
am not even started with it... :-(

> as in a second staff representing the strings with numbers indicating
> the fret played. At the least, are there plans to include some common
> guitar notation symbols like bends/prebends/releases, fretboard tapping,
> muted notes, palm muting, tremolo picking, vibrato and the various forms
> of harmonics?

Please explain this. If you are just asking for symbols above the normal
noteheads then this is very easy to implement in lilypond - all you need
to do is to code the symbols in metafont and add them to some scheme
tables.
If you cannot code metafont please send some scanned pictures showing
what you are asking for.

-Rune