Re: lilypond 1.5.60

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: lilypond 1.5.60
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:28:59 +0200 (CEST)

On 8 Jun 2002, Laura Conrad wrote:
> I haven't gotten around to looking at it, but is it really impossible
> to put a neo-mensural longa, breve, and ideally maxima notehead into
> the standard font?  That seems like the cleanest thing to do to me.

It is possible, but it would break other things (neo-mensural style,
in particular), unless you put all neo-mensural note heads into the feta
font.  But to keep semantics of font-family consistent, you would then
also have to put all other neo-mensural characters into the standard font,
and then we are nearly at the same point again that was the reason for
splitting the font (namely that it exceeds the maximum number of
characters).

> The fact that longa and  maxima don't print unless you
> specify baroque style always seemed like a bug to me, anyway.

I fully agree, but we have to gain consensus on a font character looking
up mechanism to solve this in a clean way.  Currently, I am still working
on ambitus engraver (due to tetex problems that I still have), then I
planned to fix time signatures, and after that baroque style note heads.

> I've been doing a lot of performing, and putting the publishing on
> hold until that's over, but the last performance is this afternoon,
> and there's a lot of music that has to get printed by Tuesday.  So on
> Monday morning, I need a working publishing system that knows how to print
> longas and breves.  I don't want to roll back the 1.5 changes in my
> scripts and figure out how to clean up the fonts, and go back to 1.4,
> but I'd rather do that than have my group members not have all the
> printed notes in front of them.

How about using neo-mensural style until baroque style is fixed?

Greetings,
Juergen