Alternative to linewidth=-1

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Alternative to linewidth=-1
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 01:07:11 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I concider the linewidth=-1 option to be ugly.
> I would like this option instead:
>
> --- Don't try to fill a whole number of systems - but accept that the
> piece can end with an unfinished (shorter) system. ---
>
> Reasons:
> -Would be perfect for editing:
>    -Would be a lot faster - spacing would be O(n) instead of
>     O(n*idontknowwhatitisnowbutveryslow).

Spacing and line breaking are not the bottleneck; lily is  O(n)
on the whole (well perhaps more O(n log n + k n^2 ) with a very small
k. ) For the rest, I like the proposal. However, I would try to add it
on top of gourlay-breaking.cc if I were you. Just try to space the
last line (or anything up till a linebreak) with width = -1, and
discard it if it doesn't fit.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen