Re: more voices

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: more voices
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:09:04 +0200

"Hans Kieserman" <address@hidden> writes:

Flup: lilypond-devel

> Agreed- nothing is assumed, although from a theoretical standpoint
> everything is a design decision.  (Sorry, I'm being too picky.)

That's ok.

> Could this behaviour be made explicit in the docs?

Is seems not even mentioned in the tutorial.  Looks like an omission.

> I would like to suggest a code change or adjustable property setting
> (to allow the assumption that different bracketed Voices are "named"
> differently) as a possible "improvement"- I know I'm going to lose :
> ),

Patch appreciated, although...

> but it's one of those usability compromises.  It is much more
> theoretically pure to have the default name for a Voice be "", but
> software could provide shortcuts that save time and typing.

That's always a compromise.  Then, there's the question of what
behaviour should be the default.  Quite important to us is how cleanly
it can be done in the code and it needs extra documentation (although
that's lacking now too).  Usually, such a feature is added first as an
option, the default may change later.

Jan.