Re: Vim-mode for LilyPond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Vim-mode for LilyPond
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:56:16 -0700

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:30:58 +0300 (EET DST)
Heikki Johannes Junes <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Sure, if Heikki doesn't do it.  Hmm... maybe it should be submitted to
> > the vim folks as well.
>
> Why not. The syntax-file was done in such manner that it would allow
> changes to the syntax during the time passing.

Do you want to take care of integrating it with Lilypond?  If you don't want
to, I can do it (eventually -- I'm a bit busy right now).

Right now I can see three "tasks" to do with "lilypond.vim"
1)  Figure out how (if at all) it should be combined with
lilypond-source-tree/vimrc
2)  Add some documentation about how to use lilypond.vim as a user.
(basically just take that section of your email and put it into the
docs somewhere -- probably the best bet is in the "Easier Music Entry"
section of the reference manual.  Maybe right after Point and Click?)
3)  (possibly) Submit it to the vim community.
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl#2.10

> > BTW, from my hasty glance at the existing vimrc (in the top level of the
> > source), it looks as though it's mainly aimed at people programming
> > lilypond, rather than people writing lilypond files.  Is that correct,
>
> The mode was constructed in the spirit of other syntax-files. I thought
> that my earlier mail could be a patch. The notes above how to apply the
> mode as a user could be included to the documentation (slightly modified).

I'm not certain if we're talking about the same thing -- in the Lilypond source
tree, at the top level there's a file called "vimrc".  It seems to mostly
involve binding Fx keys to various "make" commands.

> > or have I missed things due to my ignorance of vim?  :)
>
> I have used vim for two weeks. Earlier I ignored it because I could not
> even exit from it (go through vimtutor to know). I can already see some
> connection between people who like to see a graphical interface without a
> mouse, and the users of vim.

Just to clarify, my ignorance is of vim as opposed to vi.  I use vim all the
time, but I only use the "vi" portion of it -- none of the "improved" features
of "vi-improved" (apart from arrow key movement).