Re: build deb of 1.7.20

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: build deb of 1.7.20
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:48:35 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:36:11 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:
I've added lilypond1.7.dirs and lilypond1.7-doc.dirs to CVS.

Please excuse my inexperience here but does that mean I get another version and rebuild?

Yes.  Go to the lilypond dirs and do a "cvs -z3 update" (assuming you got
the source from CVS, which I recommend).
I have started on this path before and not been successful so far. I have only downloaded tarballs so far.

(the -z3 makes cvs use compression
while downloading any updates, which makes it faster and lessens the load
on the servers)

I'm willing to try this but don't understand the steps yet. I will read the doc's and see if I can get more out of them but I wouldn't mind some hints. I believe this (learning by example) is exactly the conclusion reached by some about the Lily doc's.

Is there a (reasonable) way to pick up where the build left.

Not as far as I know.  I always do "nice make deb", so that I can
still use my machine while it's building.

I still use my machine when building even without the 'nice'.

I'm used to make knowing what it's already done by using timestamps. I realize that it might be difficult for the creator of the make files to do that for something this complex and still know that all the components are correct.

Thanks,

Paul