Re: Design suggestion -- was: Re: more stupid questions

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Design suggestion -- was: Re: more stupid questions
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:57:41 +0200

[to -devel again]

address@hidden writes:
> Hi,
>
> Am Die, 17. Jun 2003 11:47:31 +0200, schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> > This is way too complex.
>
> The only complsex thing would be the communicating protocol between the
> processes.

The "only" complex thing? Remember that one of the biggest headaches
in compiling and using lily is the interaction with TeX
font-management. Interacting with other parts of TeX will increase the
headaches proportionately.

>  To be a real solution this
> script has to implement a real parser of lilypond. The reason for it is,

No, it doesn't. You could use \apply to generate the X-extent stuff,
or. ..

> that we don't have \someWeirdText only in lyrics. All other text objects
> can (and will) have \someOtherWeirdText. The tex code would be
> the same as what I suggested.

one could override the molecule-callback property to do LaTeX
processing for other objects too.

> And don't forget: My solution would make lilypond-book much more
> simple, because you don't have to parse the .tex-file any more. This job
> can do latex for you. It also can write out all the necessary parameters

And how would you implement the HTML and texi support?