Re: list of feature requests

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: list of feature requests
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:41:34 -0300

* Mats Bengtsson (address@hidden) wrote:
> I definitely support the idea of a feature request list.
> Having a list on paper should make it easier to prioritize
> and it may also happen that when you see the full list, you
> find out that one change in the code could solve a number of
> these requests, even though each one in separate doesn't feel
> urgent enough to motivate the effort.

that's what I think. and maybe something may not be worth implementing
now, or because is difficult or whatever, but may be easier in the
future. (or maybe some future collaborator sees the list and think,
"hum, maybe I can do that")

I understand the points made by Eric and Han-Wen, specially the need
of more people capable of scratching itches. I also understand that
there is already a lot of stuff to be done, not needing more work.

> On the other hand, the advantage of not having a feature request
> list easily accessible on the WWW is that popular feature requests
> will be repeated multiple times on the mailing lists, whereas if
> users see that the request already is listed, they don't repeat it.
> So, not having a list may be a way to get a kind of voting mechanism.
> (Sorry to contradict myself).

OTOH the list doesn't have to be public (although I think it
should).

I'm asking myself if users are asking features nice and doable enough
so we should keep them easily accessible even if they are not going to
be implemented in a near future.

Pedro