Re: elastic space between staves

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: elastic space between staves
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:28:11 +0200 (CEST)

> You could try to manually tune the space between staves down only
> for the first 2 systems.  See input/test/piano-staff-distance.

I know that I have to do this, but it is extremely ugly to do.

> I don't see stretchable spaces within systems happening soon. I'm
> not sure whether we enough architecture to deal with it.

Hmm, it shouldn't be too difficult.  Looking at LilyPond's 2.2.x TeX
output, the vertical distances in a system are measured from a fictive
point somewhere beneath the lowest staff.  This should be replaced
with distances relative to fictive points in each staff.  All staves
are put into boxes, and the boxes are then connected with vertical
space which could be made elastic on demand.

I'm sorry that I still haven't found enough time to test 2.3.x, so I
can't say how much this model has changed.

    Werner