Re: \break and grace timing

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: \break and grace timing
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:51:03 +0200

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 12.37, Erik Sandberg wrote:
> As Will Oram pointed out, there are problems when \break occur near grace
> notes.
>
> In this example, the second but not the first score does a line break:
>
> \version "2.3.11"
> A = \new Staff \notes {c1 | \grace c8 c1 }
> B = \new Staff \notes {c1 | \break c1 }
> \book {
>   \score {<<\A \B>>}
>   \score {\B}
> }
>
> I consider this a bug.
>
> I have been thinking about how it best would be solved. My conclusion is
> that the cleanest way would be to add a timestep that happens right before
> all grace note timing. I.e. in the case
> c1 | \break \grace c8 d1
> the c1 would be at time 0 in the first bar, the \break at the new time
> 0-inf in the second bar, the c8 at time 0-1/8, and the d1 at time 0 in the
> second bar.

Apparently this applies to clefs also.. see Michael Lakes' recent posting on
lily-user. My opinion is that in general, events that take no musical time
(i.e. not even grace time) should be executed _before_ any grace notes in
other contexts. This would include e.g. \set and \override as well, and an
exception would of course be if the event explicitly occurs after a grace
note, as in { \grace c8 \clef "G" c1 }. But e.g. in
<<{\grace c8 c1 } \\ {\bar "||" b1 }>>, the bar should come before the grace
note.

This is just a suggestion.. Are there any opinions on this?

Erik