Re: encoding hack

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: encoding hack
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:33:03 +0200 (CEST)

> I just realized that there might be an easy answer out of the
> font-encoding troubles.  [...]

Hopefully, we'll discuss this `in personam' soon.  Whatever we find,
this is something for the 2.5 series.  Don't haste.

> * dump all text string using glyphshow. Instead of doing
>
>   (hi) show
>
> we would dump
>
>   /h glyphshow /i glyphshow

Unfortunately, the `glyphshow' operator is a level-2 PostScript
command which older printers don't support (my original Apple
LaserWriter Select is one of them).

> this solves the hairy problem of doing on-the-fly font recoding, and
> seems rather trivial to code.

I volunteer to implement the on-the-fly font recoding which is really
much simpler than it sounds (this is, I take the code which I've
written for groff and adapt it to LilyPond).  With some guidance by
you to embed it into the LilyPond C++ framework it should be
straightforward, I hope.

> * Compose several fonts of CMR/EC family into a big font containing
>   roman, cyrillic, greek, etc.  This would require some hacking of
>   mftrace, but I think it would not be hard.  In essence, we would
>   automate the process that lead to the cm-super font set.

Hmm, I would rather contact Vladimir Volovich to convince him to add
Greek fonts -- or ask Vladimir for his scripts to continue his work.

    Werner