Re: encoding hack

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: encoding hack
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:02:53 +0200

My other problem is that using 2.3.22 I can't use latin2-encoding
(there is no latin2.enc, and creating one based on some other
package didn't help) and either TeX codes (e.g. \H{o} - they mess up
lyrics). So if latin2 isn't a standard part of 2.4 I won't upgrade.

This won't be fixed in 2.4, I think.  Simply adding support for
latin-2 isn't the right way, sorry.
I can understand this, but national (non-latin1) characters was supported in 2.2 and seems to be not supported in 2.4, is it? Han's definition for a release-critical bug in 2.4 was "something that is worse than was in 2.2".

Bert

(ps. Personally I would also note that supporting only latin-1 is a very bad policy in these days. From a technical point of view I can understand that some things change slowly - national character support has been standard in the Windows world for twelve years now. From an other point of view - rather political - I must note that in the time of cold war and limited computer memory it was natural to have support only for Western European characters. But the recent expansion of European Union - with many latin-2 countries like cz, sl, pl, hu :-) - should be the sign of a new era.)