box widths

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: box widths
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:36:16 +0200 (CEST)

I have a fundamental problem with the width of lilypond output, and
which should be fixed before releasing 2.4.  Currently, I use

  (interval-start (ly:stencil-extent page X))

but this isn't the right value.  Reason:  Contrary to TeX boxes,
lilypond's horizontal reference point is not always the left edge of
the output box:

                     ^

                +----+----------+
                |    |          |
                |    |          |

We have `height' and `depth' as with TeX boxes, and we have `width'
and `extension' (to coin this term), where `width' is the amount right
of the y-axis, and `extension' the left amount (and let's assume that
`extension' is positive).

The above scheme code gives `width + extension', but I need `width'
only.  How can I get that?

    Werner