Re: MediaWiki extension, RFC website, was Re: MediaWiki support

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: MediaWiki extension, RFC website, was Re: MediaWiki support
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:03:18 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin writes:
>
> > as suggested on the Wikitech-l list, I converted my patch into an
> > extension for MediaWiki:
>
> It seems this has not made it into the 1.4beta2 release?

Unfortunately not. Brion, the main maintainer, responded to me publicly
saying that by not subscribing to wikitech-l and posting the extension to
this list was not according to netiquette. I have been ignored since. Even
if I subscribed and apologized.

IMHO the LilyPond extension is much easier and cleaner than the Wikitex
implementation for music. Wikitex added support for LilyPond mainly
"because we could do it". Seeing the direction of LilyPond away from TeX,
I like my approach better. And I didn't disable GUILE completely, but rely
on the safe mode -- which is the whole purpose of safe mode. (For TeX it
might be the right thing not to modify the application but work around a
non-existing safe mode, because you'd have to convince a *lot* of people
that TeX needs that, but with LilyPond it's easy: you are already
convinced).

What I am going to add in the next days is the <lilymidi> tag (no
<lilypond midi=true> as MediaWiki doesn't support attributes for
extensions), and the support for more than one page of output.

As I made an extension of it, it's no problem to update MediaWiki and
retaining LilyPond support.

Ciao,
Dscho