Re: CVS 2004-12-29 22:58 compilation error

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: CVS 2004-12-29 22:58 compilation error
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:12:34 +0100 (CET)

> > > On my system `pkg-config --cflags pangoft2' correctly returns
> > > the path to the top pango header directory
> > > (-I/usr/local/include/pango-1.0).  A missing call to pkg-config?

After further inspection I found this problematic code in
configure.in:

  # This is developer only anyway, help pkgconfig a bit
  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/usr/pkg/gnome/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/usr/pkg/pango/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I think this is a very bad idea.  In my profile I have

  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig

and my latest pango version is installed in /usr/local/, while the
default pango is in /opt/gnome/.

With other words, my own PKG_CONFIG_PATH is always overridden, and I
always get the old pango version.

IMHO you should completely remove this code from configure.in, or you
should append those directories instead of prepending them.

    Werner