Re: Using \partcombine and \lyricsto

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Using \partcombine and \lyricsto
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:08:03 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > The music functions (ly/music-functions-init.ly) get the parser as an
> > argument, which should be used to extract variables for tuning the
> > behavior of the part-combiner. Those can be used for merging
>
> *sigh*  I wish I completely understood how all these pieces fit
> together, but I'm too new at Scheme (and C++, for that matter) to figure
> out how I might extract variables or tune behavior using the
> declarations present in this file.  The unison stemming operation should
> get tweaked in the part-combine-iterator object, while the
> chord-threshold value is contained in the determine-split-list
> definition of part-combine.scm.  It's a lot to wrap one's head around,
> and I'm not there yet.
>
> I'll continue grappling with this zillion-ton gorilla until I get it,
> but in the mean time, I'll not impose my patches on folks as my
> ignorance forces me to hard code changes to behavior that others may now
> rely upon.

 You're doing pretty good for a first
timer. Part-combine-iterator should do

       get_outlet()->get_property ("unisonStemmingProperty")

while determine-split-list should do

       (let*
         ((chord-threshold (ly:parser-lookup parser 'chord-threshold))

          <code to use chord-threshold> )

Anyway, I'm trying to say: don't downplay your efforts, and post the
code, you always learn faster by learning from others. In the worst
event, we'll just ignore your patches, nothing lost :-)

> Hint, hint:  if there's ever a lilypond developer's confab, I'd love to
> boondoggle a long weekend in Europe to get myself jumpstart
> tutorialized.

(please translate : boondoggle , confab? :-)

We're gonna be at the 2005 Linux Audio Conference in Karlsruhe
(Germany). If there's any interest in a LilyPond
Birds-Of-a-Feather/tutorial session, drop us a note, then we'll
organise something.