problems with lilypond 2.5.31 under WinME

From: Brynne and Russ Jorgensen
Subject: problems with lilypond 2.5.31 under WinME
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:23:07 -0600

When I run lilypond from the desktop, it does not start up lilypad with the Welcome_to_LilyPond.ly file. However, if I start a command shell, cd to the LilyPond usr\bin directory and then run lilypond, it DOES start up lilypad. I thought it was a problem quoting spaces in the install directory, so I uninstalled and re-installed in a directory without spaces, and it's still not working. I dug a little deeper, and I think now that the problem is that lilypond.exe is not affecting the environment at all. I put the following batch file in c:\windows to see what lilypond.exe does to the environment:

==== c:\windows\lilypad.bat ====
@echo off
set > d:\tmp\debug.txt

and after I run lilypond from the desktop, the d:\tmp\debug.txt contents are as follows:

COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;D:\CYGWIN\HOME\RBJ\VIM\VIM61;D:\CYGWIN\BIN;d:\PGP;d:\infozip\unz550;d:\infozip\zip23;D:\PROGRA~1\VPN603
PROMPT=$p$g
TEMP=D:\TMP
TMP=D:\TMP
VIM=D:\cygwin\home\rbj\vim
VIMINIT=source D:\cygwin\home\rbj\.vimrc
TDIR=D:\TMP
winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
windir=C:\WINDOWS
BLASTER=A220 I2 D3 T4

As you can see, PATH does not contain lilypond\usr\bin, and the various GS_FONTPATH, GS_LIB, GUILE_LOAD_PATH and PANGO_RC_FILE environment variables aren't set at all! It looks like setup_paths() is supposed to be doing this, but it doesn't appear to be working. Therefore, whenever lilypond tries to execute a program that it should find in its path (lilypad.exe and more importantly also gs.exe), the program isn't found. I can't get lilypond.exe to compile, so I can't debug any deeper. Let me know if you have some things you'd like me to try...

        -Russ