Re: [bug] spacing-spanner properties

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: [bug] spacing-spanner properties
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:35:42 -0500

    JR> Mmmh, ok, line-breaking is the real issue (although I do not
    JR> understand what prevents lily to insert additional line breaks
    JR> in the last two lines).  Considering this, then maybe some of
    JR> the spacing problems in ancient notation (which sometimes seem
    JR> to be somewhat related to situations similar to that in the
    JR> example) could be solved by inserting \break commands at
    JR> proper places?  I guess I should investigate further.

That's what I do.  But I've been wishing there was something less
drastic to do than that.  Like being able to put in a \squish or
\unsquish command, that wouldn't specify the linebreak but would tell
lily that the first thing she thought of wasn't a good idea.

Or of course we could reinvent the TeX penalty scheme.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139