Re: Extending \lilypondfile to support separate handling of header field

From: Michael Haynie
Subject: Re: Extending \lilypondfile to support separate handling of header fields for use by LaTeX et.al.
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:12:29 -0500

I found and fixed two problems with the LaTeX macros I sent out earlier, and revised the hymn song example format to move the copyright text to the end of the song. The fix for header processing is a little ugly -- I think there must be a simpler way, but (a) it works, and (b) it doesn't materially increase processing time, which is still dominated by lilypond proper.

I'm still pretty happy with the mechanism this represents, but for two things.

* -Hall to extract every header would be would be tremendously useful. Otherwise, I have to extract all of the headers individually, and that's *really* tedious.

* markup in header text is not handled well at all. I'm really not certain how to proceed -- the lilypond markup doesn't look much like the equivalent LaTeX markup, though some type of parser should be able to translate from one form to the other. It would be easy to write such a filter in C/C++, but that would introduce yet another language into the mix. Not a happy thought. A top-down parser could be hand-written, I suppose.

As before, comments are welcome.