Re: music function refactoring

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: music function refactoring
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:41:57 +0100

On Sunday 29 January 2006 11.35, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
>
> There is a big problem: you're changing the semantics of .ly, and we
> won't be able to handle this through convert-ly.

> How would you deal with
>
>    \addquote #"violin" \viol

I don't see the problem. \addquote is a top-level music expression (?), and
when it has been parsed, \addquote is an unapplied music function with
"violin" and the contents of \viol as parameters. After parsing, \addquote
will be applied, after all functions in its arguments have been applied.

>    <<   \parallelMusic #'(a b c) \bla
>         \a

Yes, this one will break. We haven't supported it for more than a week though,
so there isn't an awful lot of .ly code out there that gets broken. (it would
still work to either call \parallelMusic at global level, or to use a #(...)
construct)

It could maybe be fixed by viewing variables as zero-parameter functions
somehow (but it would require "declaring" them globally before using them).

--
Erik