Re: [OT] How do you configure your keyboard for programming?

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: [OT] How do you configure your keyboard for programming?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:20:23 +0100

Pedro Kröger <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry for the off-topic, but I'm curious about this. Since a few
> people here speak languages other than English (french, German, Dutch,
> Portuguese, etc) I was wandering how you configure your keyboard for
> *programming*.
>
> The use of dead keys is very comfortable to edit texts in languages
> with accents (like french) but I find a little bit irritating to use
> it while programming because I always have to hit a few more keys. For
> instance, to type an expression in lisp that have a quote I have to
> even more annoying to type commands like C-c ` in emacs.

I'm using a mac French keyboard, (with éàùçè direct keys, and ^¨`
dead keys for other accents). Parentheses are accessible without
shifting, which is nice for lisp. quote is not a dead key (also nice).
I've made caps lock an alternate ctrl key to avoid pain on the left
little finger.
It's no big deal to have backquote a deadkey because when it is followed
by a parenthese, both characters are then inserted: `(. Tilde ~ is more
a pain because it has to be followed by a space hit (not good in format
clauses "~a" for instance; ALT-n SPACE produces the tilde).

nicolas