Re: [OT] How do you configure your keyboard for programming?

From: Herman Grootaers
Subject: Re: [OT] How do you configure your keyboard for programming?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:00:17 +0100

On Sunday 29 January 2006 23:46, Pedro Kröger wrote:
> Sorry for the off-topic, but I'm curious about this. Since a few
> people here speak languages other than English (french, German,
> Dutch, Portuguese, etc) I was wandering how you configure your
> keyboard for *programming*.
>
> The use of dead keys is very comfortable to edit texts in languages
> with accents (like french) but I find a little bit irritating to use
> it while programming because I always have to hit a few more keys.
> For instance, to type an expression in lisp that have a quote I have
> that's even more annoying to type commands like C-c ` in emacs.
>
> So, what do you do:
>
> 1. just use the keyboard with deadkeys, type the extra keys and not
> care much
>
> 2. don't use deadkeys (but how do you write accents in your
> language?)
>
> 3. switch keyboard maps
>
> 4. do something else
>
> Any ideas?

I did default my keyboard to US-layout, just because the dead-keys are
too cumbersome to use and not realy necessary in dutch. For Russian I
switch my keyboard-layout to a modified russian keyboard, because the
mapping is not as the keys indicate. Maybe I will get the dutch
keyboard also switched, but that depends on what my requirements are on
that moment.

==
Herman Grootaers