Lilypond developing: getting started

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Lilypond developing: getting started
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 18:56:15 -0400

Hello, all!

I'm very interested in getting involved in Lilypond development. I have a fair bit of experience in both computer programming (databases, Java, XML/XSLT, etc.) and music (Master of Music in Composition, Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance, etc.) -- in fact, I currently make about half my living wage in each of those disciplines.

Right now, I'm finishing up a big commission (a chamber opera), and have two more coming down the pipe. However, I would like to start in to helping the Lilypond codebase in any way I can, immediately upon completing the current score (should be in about two weeks).

In order to prepare for that, I have a few preliminary questions...  =)

1. How much of the code is in C++, and how much in Scheme? Does the roadmap see this balance changing in any way, and if so in what direction? [n.b. I have very little experience with either C++ or Scheme specifically.]

2. Consequently, can I get away with learning one or the other, and if so which one would you prefer I learn? In other words, where would my learning curve best be applied, given the needs of Lilypond development over the next few months (and possibly years)?.

3. I would probably also be willing to take on the Newsletter Editor position (but I do want to roll up my sleeves and actually do some bit-pushing as well) -- is there an opportunity for me to start to learn some of the internal workings of Lilypond as a result of "editing the newsletter"?

Onward and upward!
Kieren.