Re: Lilypond developing: getting started

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond developing: getting started
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:23:54 -0700

On 26-May-06, at 6:32 PM, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:

Han-Wen:

However, if you want to learn, it's easier to start with a goal, and start to work from there.
For example, there is currently a nasty backlog of bugreports.
You could try your hand at fixing a simple bug.
That's often a good way to learn your way around the code as well.

Sounds like a good place to start -- where can I get a hold of:
   (a) the entire bug report list; and,
   (b) a "grading" for each (i.e., which are the "simple" ones)?

Currently,
http://lilypond.org/bugs/v2.8/
There's also a CVS module "bugs". However, we plan on setting up a bug tracker soon (roundup.sourceforge.net).

There are two other possibilities for useful tasks which expose you to a lot of lilypond: 1) clean up the "tricks and tips" document. Some of the current snippets are broken, and others are simply out of date. We have a volunteer to rewrite the old \applyMusic examples to use music functions, but all the rest of the snippets should be looked at. This is also a great way to learn about some neat lilypond features which you might otherwise never learn about. :) Actually, given your background and the types of questions you ask on -user, I think this would be an excellent job for you. It would probably take about five hours (one-time project).

2) Mailist support / data-miner. Answer as many questions as you can, and if the docs need to be clarified, write that clarification. The doc part of this would probably be about two hours a week; answering questions could be as much or as little as you want.