Re: music events vs stream events

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: music events vs stream events
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:03:07 +0200

Erik Sandberg schreef:
One way to achieve this change would be to provide a music type Event, which wraps around a stream event and reports it, and to let the elements of EventChord be a list of stream events instead of music (which of course means that EventChord's 'elements will be renamed to 'events or similar). This change would make it more clear that the iteration process is the process of assigning stream events to contexts.

There are of course some problems; for example, length-callback etc. must be handled somehow. I think the best way of doing length-callback is to wrap the event in a music whose iterator sets the event's length properly.

If this sounds good, I can place this on my todo, after finishing parser work and music streams.

This sounds very good, but I'm worrying about chord syntax, eg.

  <c-\tag #'bla -. >

where NoteEvents have Event children (which again may nest). Does that cause problems in a model where Events and StreamEvents are merged, and different from Music?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com