rewriting ancient notation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: rewriting ancient notation
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:20:39 +0100

Juergen Reuter escreveu:

Actually, the above approach will not work without further modification:

Currently, note-heads-engraver.cc listens for note events and creates NoteHead grobs; the ligature engraver "takes over" these note heads and manipulates them. To follow the above approach, I would have to make the note heads engraver stop producing note head grobs (and instead let the ligature engraver produce LigatureHead grobs). But how can I achieve this? Removing the note heads engraver completetly from its context is no option, since both usual note heads as well as ligatures have to appear in the same context.

So, how can I signal the note heads engraver that a ligature is in process and that it should stop producing note heads?

the easiest method I can think of is the following:

Have the Ligature_head_engraver acknowledge note_head grobs. Upon catching them, suicide the note head and create a LigatureHead. Another option is to add a new property for temporarily disabling normal noteheads.

however, I think it's out of the scope right now: first the ligatures have to work correctly without presence of a note_head_engraver. If that is the case, then we can figure out how to get both out of each other's way.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com