Re: German site update

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: German site update
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:45:37 +0100

Hi Till,

Le lundi 12 février 2007 à 09:34 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :

> I forward this with a new subject, since you probably didn't see it
> because it went to the older thread...

No, I was too busy last week-end to switch on my computer.  You needn't
send an email twice; if I don't reply quickly, just bug me with a
private email.

> Hi John,
>
> I updated the German translation: that is the changes in
> site/about/automated-engraving. I didn't though touch the site/sponsor
> changes yet, because they have the remark of being still a draft. Then
> I found a typo in the README and just corrected it. Here are the two
> patches for those corrections. Please tell me if they do not apply
> cleanly, I will then try to sort it out finally.

There was a nitpick with the committish in
about/engraving/input-format.html: it looks like you had made the patch
with a revision different from the web/master upstream.

> One second thought about the essay about automated engraving: There
> are a lot of pictures with some kind of explanation like the one
> explaning the mistakes in other editions. As I looked at it these
> graphics are included into the files:
> site/automated-engraving/problem-statement.html; benchmarking.html;
> shubert.html; typography-features.html.
> My idea was to manage them the same way as the pictures in the
> site/switch/howto.html file that is to draw language-specific word on
> the on compile time.

If you have Inkscape installed, you can go ahead on this, taking the
pictures in switch/howto as an example.

>  And altogether it might be worth some thinking if we should combine
> the benchmarking and shubert file, because the example now given in
> benchmarking gives kind of poor picture about the abilities of
> nowaday's lilypond.

I guess this would imply updating the essay itself, which IMHO is up to
Jan and Han-Wen.

> A third issue is then the generation of the big page of the essay: it
> is not yet generated for German. But I guess you know this anyways.

Yes, I do, but Jan and Han-Wen don't.  I don't understand where the
issue come from; you could file a bugreport to make them know this.

> > See my related message on this list for the Git details.
> >
> Ok, I am not really ready with this, I mean: I didn't find all the
> files that will be translated then in the end.

What do you exactly mean?  The files for the initial translation are

Documentation/user/lilypond.tely -> Documentation/LANG/user/lilypond.tely
Documentation/user/tutorial.itely -> Documentation/LANG/user/tutorial.itely
Documentation/index.html.in -> Documentation/LANG/index.html.in

Note that lilypond.tely shouldn't be fully translated, i.e. translating
stuff in @iftex ... @end iftex blocs is useless as we don't generate
translated docs with TeX for now.

>  But I hope you will give some  more explanation further on. One
> question already here, though: how does git react when I start
> compiling lilypond on a git repository. Will all these files ignored
> or should I always compy the contents of the souces directory so some
> other place before I start the compilation?

The generated files will be marked as non tracked by git, so they are
not damageable.  However, I recommend to copy the sources to a different
directory before compiling them, especially if you plan to track both
stable and master branches on the same local repository, so you can go
on working on the sources while compiling.

> > There is no technical support (makefiles and buildscripts) to translate
> > the glossary, but if it is fully translated, this won't be hard to do.
> >

> I am not sure if I understand you here: I picked the file from
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2006-12/msg00003.html
>
> as you sent the link. It conforms quite well with the glossary, but my
> version now contains only english-german equivalents, so it is more
> straitforward for a translator. That is why I thought if it should be
> included into the lilypond sources as a helper file for future
> translators.

Oh, then a good place for it is the (unofficial) wiki, on
http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/

> > When you have updated the German web site, you'll be ready to start
> > translating the tutorial.
> >
> Sounds promising, though I am afraid it will take me some time...

The tutorial is 1400 lines long.

>  Ah yes, and how is it: is there also a script like check-translation
> for the docs?

Yes, there is.  I'll have time to write a full README next week, when I
have a vacation.

John Mandereau <address@hidden>