lyrics in midi

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: lyrics in midi
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:26:11 +0100 (CET)

I'm not sure whether this is a problem in timidity or a problem with
lilypond: If you create a MIDI file of a piece which contains lyrics,
and you look at the data written by timidity to stdout, you can see
that no spaces between syllables are emitted.

Looking at the output from

  timidity --verbose=5

I see for example this:

  Midi Event 881999: ME_NOTEON 1 69 127
  Midi Event 881999: ME_LYRIC 0 15 0
  deMidi Event 881999: ME_NOTE_STEP 0 10 16
  Midi Event 888124: ME_NOTEOFF 3 52 64

Note that after the syllable `de', there is no newline...  In case
it's really the responsibility of lilypond, then a normal space (and
`__') between syllables in the lyrics data should be converted to
`\n', I think, while `--' should be handled as-is.

    Werner