Re: Initial Tempo?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Initial Tempo?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:15:25 +0200

You missed the, perhaps, most common solution, namely to typeset the
tempo as a text mark (see the section on Text Marks) before the first note
of the piece. In the section on "Style sheets", you can even find an example
of how to define a function tempoMark, which automatically changes the
alignment and makes the text bold face (you may also want to add some
extra padding to move it further away from the stave).

  /Mats

Matt Bethe wrote:
I am surprised that there is not an initial header that establishes the text for the tempo. In all the music I have seen the leftmost edge of the initial tempo text lines up with the leftmost edge of the meter. I looked through the examples and there are three workarounds:
putting tempo as "piece" in the header, but that is technically too
 far away from the music

omitting the tempo text

putting the tempo text as \markup above the f
irst note, but that is too far to the right. Also, in this case the text is printing directly over the next few notes with ledger lines. Is there a way I can raise the text for now? I don't really understand how to
 do it from the documentation.

Thanks for any help!

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing