Re: translating the pics in the engraving essay

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: translating the pics in the engraving essay
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:27:50 +0300

John Mandereau wrote:
-------- Message transféré --------
De: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
Répondre à: address@hidden
À: John Mandereau <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:06:15 -0400

2007/4/22, John Mandereau <address@hidden>:

Yes, but I won't find at the moment fiddling with different lilypond
versions so I would need the original svgs, if you can find them.
Otherwise I will have to wait until a moment when I have time to
install lilypond 1.8 and so on to compile the files with different
lilypond versions.

I hope you know the SVG backend was added in Lily 2.6.  For earlier
versions, I'd generate Lily PNG output (or grab it from Git if it's
already there) and import it into a blank SVG with Inkscape.

I would leave the 1.6 picture versions (showing incorrect output)
alone, and upgrade all the other examples (showing what it should be
like) to 2.11 or 2.10, if possible.

I would also leave alone the pictures showing incorrect output where you have put the benchmarking
numbers. But I can try importing the existing pngs of the examples (the Cello suite and the Schubert song)
removing their text and replacing it by svg text. Let's see how the output looks like (online on the screen
the resolution cannot be good anyways). But this is for the versions how they used to be (the bad output), since
they have comments written to them.
I can try how the actual output looks like for the other examples. Let's then see what we will take and how we will
change the site. I would actually like to see the second benchmarking example (the Schubert song) being directly
included into the essay as it is somehow looking so much better in comparison (and showing much more features
than a single line polyphonic notation). There is also the point mentioned about the optical font sizes -- wouldn't it
be good to have a pdf showing the same piece in two different font sizes which show the difference? I would put this then
into the typography-features chapter.

I will probably start with the picture work only after next week.

Greetings
Till