Re: markup on spacing reduces spacing?

From: Paco Vila
Subject: Re: markup on spacing reduces spacing?
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:33:30 +0100

El Thu, 06 de Dec de 2007, a las 09:47:51AM -0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys dijo:
> 2007/12/6, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:
>
> > To me it looks very much like a bug. After all, all notes should be equally
> > spaced, but that spacing is lost where the skip has a markup attached. There
> > is no reason why a markup text below/above should actually have any
> > influence
> > on the note spacings (or at least the spacing should not *de*crease, maybe
> > increase).
>
> In the absence of notes/rests, lilypond tries to make guesses as to
> how large a given column is, by using the column extents as a
> fallback.  If you then put very large texts into these columns, the
> result will be strangely spaced.

It is not the case at all. Empty markups also reduce spacing, try the same
example with -\markup{}

I've only put a long string to be more explicative, but very short or even null
ones cause the same effect.

--
Francisco Vila Doncel. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org