Re: MultiMeasureRest vs. MeasureRest

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: MultiMeasureRest vs. MeasureRest
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:32:30 +0100

Paul Scott skrev:
What about renaming MultiMeasureRest to MeasureRest?
In English the first has the clear meaning of more than one measure while the second fairly clearly means one measure rest.

I am quite bad in english, so I really do not know.
Even if the wordings are equally bad I would still prefer MeasureRest. If you are looking for a way to typeset a one measure rest you probably will not read the section about "multi measure rest". If, otoh, you are looking for a way to typeset a rest over several measures, I guess that you would read a section about "measure rests". But I agree that this argument is not enough for a "grand renaming operation"

MeasuresRest might work.

Hmm, I don't like that.
Difficult to pronounce, and a hard-to-remember names that is out-of-line with the naming of the other objects in lilypond (after all, we do not talk about StaffsGroups, do we? :-) )

-Rune