Re: Addition to the AU

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Addition to the AU
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:08:08 -0800

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:11:16 +0100
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Till Rettig wrote:
> > Now you have to issue the command convert-ly on your file. The
> > option -e means, that you changes convert-ly makes are directly
> > written into the file,
> > so save your file first under a new name before you issue the
> > command. You
> > can for instance add the LilyPond version number to the file's name.
> > Now run the command itself:
> > convert-ly -e myfile.ly
>
> Two comments on this paragraph:
> - This is nothing specific to Windows

Yes.  Besides, isn't this exactly the same as 3.4 already?

> For the rest of the description on how to start a command prompt and
> change directory,
> this information is equally relevant to midi2ly and all the other
> utility programs
> included in the distribution, and would therefore be more suited in a
> separate
> section "Running commands from the Windows Command Prompt" (or
> whatever) that can be cited in the description of the different
> utilities. Maybe the same kind of
> information is relevant also for MacOS users? The current "MacOS X on
> the command-line" just describes how to set the path and requires the
> user to already
> know how to access the command line and change directory.

Yes.

Here's the current layout of the relevant sections of the AU:

2.1 Setup for specific OS
2.1.1 MacOSX on the command-line

3.2 Command-line usage
(includes the text
"Describing how to use this part of an operating system is outside
the scope of this manual; please consult other documentation on
this topic if you are unfamiliar with the command-line.")

3.4 Updating with convert-ly
3.4.1 command line options

I'm willing to entertain a -brief- introduction to command line
usage in 3.2.  *IF* we can get an introduction for windows, OSX,
and linux.  Yes, I'm going to insist on linux as well; with the
recent Linux desktop/laptop computers, it's not inconceivable that
we could get linux users without any familiarity with the shell.

As for the rest of the instructions, please split them up into the
relevant parts.  Unfortunately I'm not going to do this myself;
I'm not going to think about AU until GDP gets there (if we ever
do).  However, if you split up the instructions (ie "add BLAH to
2.1.2, add BLARGLE to 3.2.15.5") then I'll be happy to add them.