Request for comments: prettify snippets page

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Request for comments: prettify snippets page
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:00:59 +0100

Hi all,

I'd like to deeply change doc snippets presentation: as tags were
recently added to LSR, we should put all snippets in the same directory,
resulting in a single PDF file and a single HTML page for all snippets.

Of course, putting all snippets on a single HTML page would make
browsing snippets a bit more difficult, so I propose to make another
HTML page for browsers supporting JavaScript and DOM, with searching and
browsing facilities: i.e. this page would contain a form with text
fields for matching title, tags, and maybe description, and would
display matching snippets.  Ideally, this page should also read URL
arguments (like a PHP page) to display a snippet set with specified
tags.  For this purpose, I'd like to use JavaScript framework
prototype.js and script.aculo.us, to make code development easier and
provide goodies like autocompletion in text fields.

If we go this way, we'll need to change a bit the way LSR exports
snippets, i.e. we'll need to get all snippets in the same directory, and
each snippet will need additional fields in header block: title (to
print real title instead of ugly filename with dashes) and tags in a
comma-separated list.

How does this sound to you?

Cheers,
John