Re: Macro @notation in the LM

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Macro @notation in the LM
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:35:17 +0100

Le mercredi 02 janvier 2008 à 16:34 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :
> Hi documentation editors,
>
> I started translating the tutorial, or updating, as quite a lot can be
> still used as I discovered. I had to add the macros notation and warning
> to the macros.itely in the language/user directory and clean up the
> macros defined for tex compilation down the file. I mention this for the
> other translators because it causes the compilatoin to fail.
>
> The macro @notation so far is defined as plain text, which is not really
> what we need because this text won't get translated. As far as I
> understand, there are two possibilities to solve this:
> 1. make the arguments of @notation go to the pot file so they will be
> translated in there, or
> 2. the maybe easier way: take them from the glossary as rglos does but
> without the reference to the different document and without the link.

If I understand well the purpose of @notation well (see
Documentation/user/writing-texinfo.txt), this macro is used to mark
phrases from music notation terminology.  As this is an identity macro
(it exactly returns its argument), you can of course translate its
contents directly in the translated Texinfo file, unless Graham plans to
make this macro more complicated -- anyway, this macro will not use @ref
or anything similar, because @notation is heavily used at middle of
sentences.

When updating any translations in user/, it's highly recommended to
update macros.itexi first.

Cheers,
John