Re: signs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: signs
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:41:06 -0800

[shifted from bugs]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:24:17 +0100 (CET)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > These are shown in 1.2.5 Bar lines -- but of course they're only
> > shown in the picture example.  Again, all of the documentation is
> > written with the assumption that the user can see the graphical
> > output.  I can't imagine how we could avoid this... and certainly
> > not with the limited amount of doc help we have.
>
> I think the solution is quite easy: just add those textual
> descriptions into the source file as comments; blind people will
> always look up those descriptions I think.

Where do we draw the line?  This will double the size of any example
that we comment -- and in the process, it will make the docs less
usable for everybody else.  I really can't imagine how we could do this
without significantly changing all the documentation.

(the amount of people who carefully reads an example decreases
exponentially as the size of the example increases)

... hmm, actually LSR might help here.  We could add a special
category "blind users"[1] which has all these extra comments[2].

[1] we'll might need to find a more politically correct term.
[2] this is a just suggestion, Valentin.  To start a discussion.  Don't
do it yet.