Re: syntax colored lilypond code in docs?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: syntax colored lilypond code in docs?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:40:18 +0100

Le vendredi 18 janvier 2008 à 16:29 +0100, Wilbert Berendsen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> just for fun and to help some friends I'm hacking up a Dutch language Lily
> toot at http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl/cursus_lilypond . It's still in
> progress.

Cool!  Have you also considered translating official docs?  Jan and me
have set up a translation infrastructure that makes translated manuals
(Learning Manual, Notation Reference and Application Usage) available in
HTML and PDF, very visible on lilypond.org thanks to automatic language
selection, also available in docs tarball; all HTML pages have easy
switching between languages, incremental/partial translation of a manual
is possible, and updating translations is made easy with some Python
scripts.  Let me know if you're interested :-)

> I create the syntax colored Lilycode HTML with Kate (KDE's editor). But while
> busy I thought it would be nice to have (not too intrusive) colored HTML in
> the Lilypond.org documentation. The syntax highlighting should be added
> automagically, i.e. no *.itely files should be changed, just the build
> process should add the highlighting somehow, using some python script that
> could even get its words from the lily sourcecode like the .vim files.
>
> I started trying to find where to begin, but: does Texinfo support colors?

I can't find the word 'color' (nor 'colour') in Texinfo 4.11 docs with
Emacs I-search, so I guess Texinfo does not support colors.

>  If
> it does, can @verbatim still be used? If not, how would I get a colored PDF?
> (Is that desired anyway?)
>
> I'm quite proficient in HTML, but not in texinfo/dvi etc. But the nicest
> option would be have colored lilypond input in the PDF as well.

This would be nice, but it requires colors support in Texinfo -- at
least in texinfo.tex which produces PDF output, as the HTML can be
hacked more easily.  If you really want your suggestion to be taken
seriously, you should send a feature request for adding colors support
to address@hidden -- note that it may not be implemented quickly,
see the huge TODO
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/texinfo/texinfo/TODO?revision=HEAD

(I'd like to contribute to Texinfo in the coming years, but I don't know
C nor TeX...)

Cheers,
John