Re: replacing Century Schoolbook font

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: replacing Century Schoolbook font
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:16:16 +0100

Le lundi 28 janvier 2008 à 19:37 +0100, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
> > The only question to me is: how can be made use of these unicode
> > features?
>
> I don't know. :-) Han-Wen probably can answer this -- if it's not
> possible to use features right now, maybe it can be implemented some
> time.

I don't know if my answer is accurate and complete, as I speak here as a
user who read the docs and tested a little, not as a knoweledgeable
developer.  You can insert any UTF-8 character and LilyPond will render
it as long as Pango can find a font installed on your system that
includes a glyph for that symbol.  Pango also handles kerning and
ligatures automatically, if the font(s) you use provide enough
information and glyphs (for example, Century Schoolbook shipped with
LilyPond include ligatures glyphs such as "fl", whereas Liberation fonts
don't, at least not "fl" I tested with "flûte"), so as a user you
shouldn't worry too much about tweaking this too much, except choosing
good quality fonts and selecting UTF-8 chars.

IMHO it's a very good idea to try using TeX Gyre Schola in LilyPond as a
default font from now, as at least a couple of development releases
hopefully gives us enough time to find potential problems (or more
likely to admire how it looks better :-)

Cheers,
John