Re: @value macro investigation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: @value macro investigation
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:54:25 +0100

Le lundi 03 mars 2008 à 17:50 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> John, can I make one final check with you before I report this
> as a texinfo bug?  Just out of interest, could anybody else with texinfo
> 4.11 check this as well?  I'm trying to track down the @value{} failure.

The following input file is not complete, it lacks a line
@setfilename foo.info
which is required to initialize indexing and xrefs macros in
texinfo.tex; moreover texi2dvi looks for this line to insert --command
arguments in the input file before calling TeX.

@setfilename foo.info

> @node Top
>
> Texinfo text
>
> This version is @value{ver}.
>
> @bye

> tsubasa:~/tmp gperciva$ texi2pdf --version
> texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.11) 1.104

I have the same texi2dvi version.

> /opt/local/bin/texi2dvi: Running pdfetex --file-line-error
> '/Users/gperciva/tmp/foo.t2d/pdf/xtr/foo.texi' ... This is pdfTeXk,
> Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6) file:line:error style messages
> enabled. entering extended mode
> (/Users/gperciva/tmp/foo.t2d/pdf/xtr/foo.texi

This file should contain

@set ver 1.0

near the @setfilename command
(run texi2pdf with --tidy to prevent texi2dvi from removing the building
directory at exit)

> Notable message:
> Variable `ver', used in @value, is not set.

I got the same warning without @setfilename in the input file.  With
@setfilename, I get no warning and the PDF output looks good.

As for LilyPond manuals, you may want to check after building docs that
Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-learning.t2d/pdf/xtr/lilypond-learning.texi
contains near the beginning

@set version 2.11.41

(oops, I just removed a duplicate line in texinfo-vars.make).

> I've switched from tetex to texlive, with no change.

Sorry for the trouble of changing your TeX setup which didn't solve
this :-(  OTOH you have a newer TeX installation :-)

HTH,
John