Re: removing eps

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: removing eps
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:33:40 +0100

Le samedi 15 mars 2008 à 17:36 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Do we need to keep both .pdf and .eps images after the build
> process?  Surely we only need one of them (hopefully pdfs).

> Certainly before we used pdflatex, we needed eps files to build
> the pdfs, but can we get rid of them now?  The eps files double the
> filesize of a git checkout + doc-building.

EPS files are not used directly in HTML/PDF docs, but are an
intermediate format, produced by LilyPond and then converted to PNG/PDF.

I don't see any reasonable way to improve docs building disk usage -- to
be more explicit, removing intermediate output files is not reasonable.
Docs makefiles are so complex that I think worrying about this is
overkill; a much more important point would be to make sure docs are
rebuilt when the sources have been modified, without having to clean
anything first.

Cheers,
John