Re: Using texi2html for the documentation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Using texi2html for the documentation
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:51:46 +0100

Le samedi 22 mars 2008 à 05:40 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:23:45 +0100
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
> > There have already been some proposals on the lists, but it looks like
> > none has made enough enthusiasm to adopt it.
>
> That's because we (deliberately) haven't advertized it on the
> -user list.  If there's one thing we can count our users to do,
> it's to argue about the appearance of web pages.

IIRC this has been last discussed in 'Logo for Lilypond' thread on
-devel, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-09/msg00187.html

I think there are enough ideas in this thread to work on lilypond.org
design, it only lacks a volunteer.  If we can't find anybody else, is
this task urgent enough so that one of already busy LilyPond
contributors (Valentin, Reinhold, me, ...) should prioritize it?

A call on -user would trigger a lot of suggestions, but we need somebody
who will actually do it, and if needed hack Python scripts used to
generate the web site.

> Oh, wait... if by "the start page" you mean the basic index.html,
> that's deliberate.  We're not playing with that page until GDP is
> closer to finished, so we actually know what material we might want to
> add to that page.

I guess Reinhold initially talked about lilypond.org homepage; the
documentation index layout looks good enough to me, except lacking PDF
links, but as you already said it's not the most urgent.

Cheers,
John