Problem lilypond-book and fragments with quote and line-width

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Problem lilypond-book and fragments with quote and line-width
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:22:33 +0100

While trying to convert some lilypond documentation to html, I've run into a
problem with lilypond snippets in texinfo, that use both the quote and the
line-width option: If both are present, the quote option is simply ignored!

What is the reason for the following code in lilypond-book.py (lines 986ff):

        # The QUOTE pattern from ly_options only emits the `line-width'
        # keyword.
        if has_line_width and QUOTE in self.option_dict:
            if no_line_width_value:
                del self.option_dict[LINE_WIDTH]
            else:
                del self.option_dict[QUOTE]

This specific code was apparently added by wl in revision
92fb2ea03e76e763259d39a46807045222589e3d, before the quote option always
caused the line-width to be removed (which was implemented by janneke in his
original commit cf4e08c191004ed490cdb53f17565d4db047b10f that implemented the
quote option -- with a "# Hmm" comment in the code):
                    #Hmm
                    if QUOTE in options and LINEWIDTH in options:
                            options.remove (LINEWIDTH)

The problem with the current code is that using the quote option together with
line-width does not work... In particular in texinfo:
     @lilypond[quote,verbatim,staffsize=14]
produces
    @quotation
    @exampleindent 0
    @verbatim
    @end verbatim
    @end quotation

But if you add an explicit line-width for the snippet, i.e.
     @lilypond[quote,verbatim,staffsize=14,line-width=8.0\cm]
then the resulting texinfo code will be:
    @exampleindent 0
    @verbatim
    @end verbatim

In particular, note that now the quotation is simply missing (and thus also
the indentation!). If I comment out the "else" clause in lilypond-book.py,
thinks work as expected.

I think it makes perfect sense to use both quote and line-width together on a
snippet, or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Reinhold