Re: backslashes in escape rules

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: backslashes in escape rules
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:38:05 -0700

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:31:11 +0200
John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2008/07/05 02:05 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:51:36 +0200
> > John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I guess the motivation for using "foo" iso. "\\\\foo" for regexp
> > > substitution is making docs updating easier, as running text or
> > > comments sometimes mention the command name without the backslash.
> >
> > That should never happen.
>
> It does:
> ___Documentation/user/staff.itely:1063:In earlier versions of LilyPond
> (pre 2.11), @code{addQuote} was

Well, staff is still being worked on by Till.

1)  we should never discuss previous versions in the docs (other
than the convert-ly section).
2)  even if we do, the \ is mandatory.

I would have noticed these -- I hope -- before letting it go to
the first public draft.

> Speaking of conversion rules, is it a good idea to have multiple rules
> for one version?  ___This has no importance from the technical side,
> but this looks awkward in convert-ly messages, so I vote for having at
> most one rule per version.

I have no opinion on this.

> I'd also recommend to use convert-ly compiled by 'make
> all' (out/bin/convert-ly from top of the compilation tree) to update
> the docs, as stated in README; I didn't rebuild the docs with your
> last changes, but I wouldn't be surprised if docs build failed on
> translations or on other places because of old commands in ly code.
> I've just done this and will push as soon as 'make web' succeeds.

Thanks.

Actually, last night I discovered that I couldn't ru convert-ly
(no module lilylib) because I'm using the EXTERNAL_BINARY thing.
Carl will be implementing the rest of the changes.