Re: settings for headwords

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: settings for headwords
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:21:22 -0700

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:16:46 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/7/17 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:18:06 +0100
> > "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm not certain about that.  Is there any reason *not* to use the
> > \layout settings which avoid ugly output?  If text lines would fit
> > within the page anyway, then the settings only add half a second to
> > the compile time; if the output *would* look bad, then those
> > settings solve that problem.
>
> Why add redundant \layout settings? None of the other snippets has
> text spilling into the margins.

Well, those redundant \layout settings make lilypond produce the
best possible notation.  As a general rule, we want the headwords
to look as good as possible.

If we could use a predef for these, I'd totally propose a
\bestNotation or \qualityRendering or something like that.  And
possibly a \fastRendering.  But when I asked about this a while
ago, nobody had any other suggestions for specific tweaks to alter
the quality-vs-speed of rending, so I dropped the idea.

I suppose that there's nothing wrong with customizing specific
\layout settings for each headword, so I guess I'll go along with
removing these \layout settings.

> > Ok, could you update all the snippets to use the new \paper
> > settings?
>
> Will do, though I don't plan on removing ragged-right = ##t for the
> remaining items.

All right, I'll do it after you revert the time signature stuff.