Re: syntax changes before beta version

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: syntax changes before beta version
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:12:43 -0700

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:24:26 +0200
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:

> > I'd also like to
> > proofread *all* docs reworked in GDP before it ends, I'm not sure
> > which of these two time-consuming tasks I should give priority to.
>
> I'd say, proofreading the contents docs is of a higher priority than
> visually spicing it up... After all, the most important spot of the
> docs is the homepage, and we can always replace the version on the
> homepage by a texi2html one later on. We don't even need a release
> for this.

I disagree.  The current doc layout expects each subsection to be
on the same page; currently we split each subsubsection.  If we
don't have texi2html for 2.12, then at the very least we'll need
to change all the @unnumberedsubsubsec back to @subsubsection.

Also, on a purely political perspective, the different layout will
emphasize the enormous doc rewrite.  This might encourage people
to actually read the docs again, even if they think they already
know stuff.  (I'm thinking of LM 3-4 in particular)

Minor proofreading is easily done after 2.12.  Also, it can be
done by normal users.  I really want texi2html to be working for
2.12, and you two are the only ones who can make this happen.  I
encourage you both to focus on this, and leave doc-proofreading
until later.
(besides, it's not like you two need a separate doc editor to fix
anything you notice; you can both push fixes directly to git)